Thursday, May 19, 2011

Preparing for my first trip to India

For years I've avoided going to India. Not because I didn't think it would be a spectacular adventure but rather because of my fear of the unknown. Well, I can avoid it no more as my company has asked me to visit my team there. Luckily for me, over the last several months, my fear of the unknown has dissipated. Instead, I am embracing the unknown and thoroughly looking forward to this adventure.

Preparing for this adventure has been less than enjoyable. I have numerous friends and associates that have traveled to India and all of them have been very generous with their tips and stories. Unfortunately, not all of the stories have been pleasant and many have scared me silly. I understand the wonders of India include limited waste management (human and otherwise), scorching hot temperatures and mosquitoes the size of large birds, but I guess I didn't really think about the many creature comforts I would be without when there. For example, toilet paper. I travel quite a bit on business but never once have packed a roll (or more) of toilet paper. I've also never heard of bug spray for your clothing (although I could have used it the summers growing up in the woods of Michigan). My packing list is longer than both my arms and I'm trying to keep to one checked bag and one carry-on. Wish me luck!

Another unpleasant part of preparing for this trip - vaccinations. I had to have 12! After my first five in a series of several, my arm hurt for days. But I'll take the minor inconvenience for the major problem of Hep A/B or Typhoid Fever.

As a female professional, the last struggle in preparing is around attire. India is a 'modest' country. Women cover up - neck to wrist to ankle. I don't own a single piece of clothing that would cover me that much - except maybe the two Snuggies colleagues gifted me last Christmas. I've had to rethink and retool my wardrobe for this trip. I hope I am choosing the right articles of clothing - I don't want to disrespect anyone.

I am sure that the amount of prep time that is going into this trip will be worth it. Especially the first moment, I gaze upon the Taj Mahal for the first time. My first of the 'Wonders of the World' and I couldn't be more excited.

3 comments:

  1. Have a great time, I have a good friend from Jaipur if you want to talk to her about your clothing choices. Also I recommend this suitcase highly, it traveled to China (not with me unfortunately) and got high praise: http://jcp.is/kL07xt

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... made me smile :)

    Have a safe trip (which it should be given the 12 vaccinations ;), and make sure to enjoy the chaos and hospitality! There is always some method in the madness.

    Keep us posted and leave us feeling jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound like this is going to be a fun trip! Keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete