Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 3 Part 1 - Bomb Threat & Volcanic Ash

I awoke today to a cautionary note from the TCS Delivery Leader of my team. This is what it said.

"Also, just to keep you posted, that a bomb treat has been announced in the state of Gujarat. In case you plan to move outside the hotel to do any shopping or to have lunch at a restaurant, I would say be cautious & alert. It will be great if you can avoid it."

Gujarat is the state that Vadodara/Baroda is in. The state is on high-alert of Pakistani terrorist threats due to the recent problems between the two countries (as recent as Sunday/Monday of this week).

The other big headline in International news today is the cancellation of 1600 flights in Europe due to the Icelandic volcano eruption. For those that know me, you know that this volcano has been the bane of my existence for months. Last spring, when it erupted the first time, I was in Oxford, England and had to spend hours and days on the phone with our corporate travel company to find a way home. I was finally put on the first and only flight out of Heathrow Airport in London. I was only delayed several hours, while some travelers were delayed days. The plane erupted (pun intended) with applause when we took off, heading for Washington DC.

Later that summer, it erupted again, while I was in Haarlem, The Netherlands (just outside Amsterdam). It was the day my parents were to travel home to Michigan and I was to travel to Madrid, Spain for a team meeting. Similar to the first time, our flights were cancelled and rescheduled for the same day so we were only delayed several hours (but after much angst and conversations with the travel company).

Fortunately, my flight home from this trip is scheduled for Friday, June 3 and the flight path will take us far North of Iceland and any residual volcanic ash.

That's the news from India this morning. Nick will be in Baroda today so I am sure I'll have great stories about our evening.

Until then . . . Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment