Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 3 Part 2 - Motivation & Exhaustion

I have now learned first hand that traveling to Asia is different than traveling to Europe. Certainly there are a lot of obvious reasons - culture, language, topography, etc. What I didn't realize is that jet leg sets in on a different timeline too. According to many of my friends that travel frequently to Asia, jet leg doesn't set in until the third day (usually the second day when traveling to Europe). I am proof of that fact. Day 3 was brutal!! Physically, I haven't been that drained in years. Luckily, I was able to shake it off with some Excedrin and a quick cat nap. Note to self, don't make the biggest day of your trip the third day - it will NOT end well.

As I eluded to, Day 3 was a big day for Mike and me. We were hosting an all team Town Hall. Our team in Baroda is about 65 people at the moment (quickly increasing to nearly 80 by the end of the summer). I thought it would be a little team meeting - NOPE. Team leadership had commandeered the cafeteria, turning it into a lecture hall with lots of A/V equipment, including a microphone. (One thing I know about myself - I talk very loudly. I didn't need a microphone.).

Mike and I prepared a little presentation focusing on a few key themes, including teamwork, communication and process improvement. The Town Hall was meant to be a celebration of all the work the team had already done, as well as a motivational message about the future. I was never a cheerleader (I would have looked ridiculous in those little skirts) but I do feel very passionately about the people on my team. Keeping that in mind, I tried my best to channel Tony Robbins to be as motivational and inspirational as possible.

When the time came, our main contact at TCS, Monto, wanted us to 'make an entrance', so we waited and prepared in the small conference room I have made my office while here. Upon entering the cafeteria, the entire team rose and applauded our arrival. I got the goose bumps and started to tear up. I'm known for shedding tears of joy at some pretty strange times but this was a magical moment. I felt so loved and wanted to return their love three fold.


Mike and I spoke to the team for about an hour during which time we got the opportunity to give out some awards for process improvements, teamwork, quality and good ideas. It was amazing meeting each of these talented, dedicated associates. Each one had a broad smile on their face when I handed them their certificate and shook their hands. If Indian culture (and business culture for that matter) allowed it, I would have wrapped my arms around each one of them, giving a big hug of appreciation.


After the Town Hall, we all made our way next door to Nielsen building (TCS and Nielsen have office buildings next to one another). We wanted to take a team picture on the steps of the building. Here is the result. Look at the beautiful faces of our team!! WOW!!


Have I mentioned that Mike is big in India? Or at least that's what he told me when talking me into bringing him with me. Well, it turns out he IS big in India. Check him out with his entourage!


Once the pictures were done, I realized that I had hit a wall - head on without a helmet! I nearly passed out on my way back to my office. I had a mild fever, blurred vision and could barely stand upright. Schick brought me some Excedrin and then I headed back to the hotel for a quick rest. I was afraid that I wouldn't make it to dinner - which would have made me so sad as my dear friend Nick was in Baroda and had stayed over just to have dinner with us. Luckily, I have wonderful friends who brought the party to me and encouraged me along the way. We had a delicious dinner with great conversation. These four men may be the most interesting, intelligent, kind men I know. I am one lucky girl! I am thankful for their friendship!


By the way, each of these guys have amazing futures ahead of them. Kevin, Nick and Schick will all be taking on new challenges soon and I wish them the best of luck! As for Mike, I will probably be working for him by the end of the year. :)

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment