Friday, May 20, 2011

One day and counting

Thanks to everyone that wished me luck regarding my packing goal - remember 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag. Epic fail...I ended up with 3 checked bags - yes, I said 3. Granted one of those bags is full of chotchkies for the team in India. The good news is that I'll have an empty bag to bring all of the wonderful treasures I'm sure to find along the way.

One of the things I'm looking forward to most is seeing some friends that I haven't seen for months. Three guys that work with me have been spending the last 5 months abroad in countries spanning Western Europe and Asia. Two of them are currently living in Baroda, my home base while in India. Mike and Kevin are incredible, intelligent guys that are also lots of fun to hang out with. I'm pretty sure they'll get me into some interesting situations. I'm also sure that they will keep me very safe (don't worry Mom). A third friend, Nick, is living in Mumbai and will journey to Baroda for one day and one night - a night I expect to be full of food and fun.

Baroda is a 'dry state'. Meaning there is no booze. Technically there is alcohol in the state but consumption of it is limited to a select few. Apparently, I need to buy a liquor license on my way through Delhi so that I can purchase liquor outside of the hotel. The guys have asked me to do this, which I'm more than happy to do. They also asked me to 'smuggle' them in some hard stuff. Now don't think that I'm doing anything illegal. It is legal for me to stock up at the duty free in Delhi and bring it into Baroda. Another request I'm happy to grant. I feel like I'm about to walk into a convenience store and a couple of teenagers have asked me to buy them beer. Brings back memories!

Now that I'm packed and ready to go, the butterflies are starting to fly around my stomach. I'm not sure if that is a sign of nerves or a reaction to the malaria meds I had to start taking today (my friend Mike had a little 'trouble' with these same meds when he first left for India). Either way, I'm getting very excited and can't believe that I leave in just over 12 hours.

Until tomorrow......Namaste

1 comment:

  1. Food and fun indeed! Travel safely and see you on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete