Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 6 Part 2 - Lap of Luxury

As I mentioned, after our full day of site seeing and shopping, we were all exhausted and just wanted to sit by the pool and sip cocktails. Since it was over 100 degrees, we decided to skip the pool and go straight for the cocktails. Luckily, the hotel bar, The Blue Bar, has an incredible outdoor lounge, complete with large bed sized couches.



Kevin commandeered a section right in the middle where the four of us lounged for the next 7 hours. We enjoyed specialty drinks during happy hour with names like Asian Smash (my favorite), Belgravia, and Blazing Saddles. Luckily we like each other and the conversation flowed easily as we lounged under the fans and basked in the glow of the sunset.




As it got darker, the bar got busier. It turns out that this bar/club was voted the best new hot spot in Delhi and it was clear by the growing number of young Indians in the club and the very long line of people trying to get in. As with pretty much everywhere we go, we were the only white people there and I was the only blonde. Every time I got up to use the restroom, it was like the parting of the red sea as I made my way. I realized that this is what it feels to be a minority - people staring at you all the time. Fortunately, my experience as a minority has been a good one - people give deference to me/us. It's not like most minorities, where people are watching them because they are afraid of the unknown. In our case, people want to see us, talk to us and strangely take pictures with or of us. It is a strange but not unpleasant feeling.



As the night progressed, Kevin made friends with a local guy who then introduced Kev to his sisters - Bromance and Romance all in one! One of the sisters lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan, both Kev and I are from Michigan - such a small world. Kevin decided to stay longer when Schick, Mike and I decided we needed to go to sleep. Our driver was picking us up at 6 am for our trip to Agra and the Taj Mahal. We left the bar at 1 a.m. - another late night with little sleep.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment