Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 11 - The Last Day

I can't believe that it's the last day in the office and the second to the last day in India. This trip has been a whirlwind and oh so enjoyable.

The day was pretty typical. Into the office at about 10 a.m. Catching up on emails and visiting with the team. Mike and I took two of our TCS team members, Jitendre and Komal, out to lunch at Sam's Sizzler - or rather Jitendre took us as he treated us. That was so very nice of him! Sam's Sizzler is more like Chinese food meets fajitas. All the food comes out on red hot wrought iron pans and the food is 'sizzling'. The food was absolutely delicious and the company was marvelous.

After lunch, I had the pleasure of going saree shopping with Komal. We went into a few different shops. Each with a traditional saree buying experience - the women sit in chairs as the shop workers (mainly men) unfold and drape the beautiful sarees over large beds. The fabrics were beautiful, the bead work to die for. Every color and pattern imaginable. I was in heaven. I wanted to take one of each home. After a bit, I decided on two beautiful cotton sarees, one in a wonderful blue and teal flower pattern and the other in a stunning deep teal, navy blue and gold geometric and flower pattern. You are probably asking if I plan on wearing these sarees. I do hope to wear one at least once while I'm in the states - I may have to get my friend Jignasha to help me wrap it. I bought the other to use as fabric for something for my home. We'll see how it turns out. Overall, the experience was wonderful and I look forward to my next visit when I can go shopping again with my wonderful Indian friends.

Eventually we had to return to the office. I finally met the last two teams, the Wireless Flowshare team and the Advertising Insights team. As with all those I met before them, they were very kind and shared with me what they do to support our business. Each team is so dedicated to their work and to delighting our clients.

After a few more hours of work, I took some time to sit with some of the women on the team. I saw them gathered by their desks and inquired about what they were talking about. They said they were 'gossiping'. Perfect, I love gossip! Turns out their gossip was about sarees, when a woman can/should wear them and when not. This is perfect for me since I love clothes and I have a lot of opinions about when someone should wear something and when they shouldn't. ;)

Unfortunately, the day came to an end, and I had to say my good byes. I was gifted some beautiful jewelry by the women of the team. Tears started to well in my eyes so I needed to make a quick getaway. After a few words from Mike and me, we left the TCS office and the team for the last time. I will miss each and everyone of the Telecom team members - their smiling faces and wonderful attitudes. I look forward to the day I return and am reunited with them!! :)

After returning to the hotel, Schick and Kevin picked us up for dinner. One last scooter ride for me as we went back to the mall where Mainland China is for our last traditional Indian meal. It was absolutely delicious. While at dinner I became quite overwhelmed with sadness that this wonderful trip was about to end but also so thankful for the time I had in this mysteriously delightful country.

We said our good byes to Schick and Kevin - luckily I'll see them again in July in Chicago when they graduate from the Program, so it's not good bye for long.

Tomorrow we begin our journey home. Until then, Namaste . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment